Website administrators are still doing a poor job of keeping their sites secure. A new report provides concrete evidence.
Looking at data from its customers, the company found many compromised websites. Common problems were weak administrator passwords, no application patching and failure to update their plugins.
Website security is the measures taken to secure a website from cyberattacks. In this sense, website security is an ongoing process and an essential part of managing a website.
There are various goals when hacking websites, but the main ones are:
- Exploiting site visitors
- Stealing information stored on the server
- Tricking bots and crawlers (black-hat SEO)
- Abusing server resources
- Pure hooliganism (defacement)
Using any means to gain unauthorized access to a website, attackers can:
- Inject SEO spam on the page
- Drop a backdoor to maintain access
- Collect visitor information or credit card data
- Run exploits on the server to escalate access level
- Use visitors’ computers to mine cryptocurrencies
- Store botnets command & control scripts
- Show unwanted ads, redirect visitors to scam sites
- Host malicious downloads
- Launch attacks against other sites
To help protect your websites and to make the internet a safer place, contact us.